Monday, July 28

Psalm 119: The Movie and the Songs

At the risk of looking like a full time blogger, I expose my addiction to this media, and this subject.

This week LifeChurch is reading Psalm 119. Some suggest its the Psalm that David used to teach Solomon as a child, though the authorship is not definitive (it sure sounds like David). David was not a lawyer, he was a musician, a shepherd and a lover and a king.

As many of you know, my background requires me to post a caveat to this treatise on "the law". I believe that the ONLY way to read this is by the Spirit (see Tony's 2 "rules" about reading the bible in prior post :). The law kills, but the spirit brings life (2Cor 3:6), Wretched man that I am (Romans 7:24-25), who will save me from this body of death? What follows are some of the most hopeful words ever written: "Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord." God speaks to our heart through His living and active word (Heb 4:12), so I have to see this as a channel by which I can have that conversation.

All that said, here are a few resources that might help read Psalm 119.
  1. Matthew Henry commentary (Shorter synopsis)
  2. Spurgeon Commentary (A very detailed commentary)
  3. The links below are from Zion Christian Press That has taken Each of the "Letters" of Psalm 19 and set to acoustic Guitar (mp3 and chords in PDF) and seperately made a movie of the song. The author gives this material away freely for the glory of God.
    Psalm 119a (Aleph)Blessed Are They Whose Ways Are Blameless
    Psalm 119b (Beth)How Can a Young Man Keep His Way Pure?
    Psalm 119c (Gimel)I Am a Stranger on Earth
    Psalm 119d (Daleth)I Am Laid Low in the Dust
    Psalm 119e (Heh)Turn My Eyes Away From Worthless Things
    Psalm 119f (Vav)I Will Talk About Your Statutes Before Kings
    Psalm 119g (Zayin)Your Decrees Are the Theme of My Song
    Psalm 119h (Heth)You Are My Portion, O LORD
    Psalm 119i (Teth)It Was Good For Me To Be Afflicted
    Psalm 119j (Yodh)Let Your Compassions Come To Me
    Psalm 119k (Kaph)How Long Must Your Servant Wait?
    Psalm 119l (Lamedh)Your Word O LORD Is Eternal
    Psalm 119m (Mem)I See More Clearly Than The Ancients
    Psalm 119n (Nun)Your Word Is A Lamp Unto My Feet
    Psalm 119o (Samekh)Away From Me You Evil Doers
    Psalm 119p (Ayin)It Is Time For You To Act O LORD
    Psalm 119q (Peh)Streams Of Tears Flow From My Eyes
    Psalm 119r (Tsadhe)Your Promises Have Been Thoroughly Tested
    Psalm 119s (Qoph)I Rise Before The Dawn And Cry For Help
    Psalm 119t (Resh)Your Salvation Is Far From The Wicked
    Psalm 119u (Shin)Great Peace Have They Who Love Your Law
    Psalm 119v (Tav)I Have Gone Astray Like A Lost Sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment