Thursday, July 3

Few Find It

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Matthew 7:13-15

For years this verse hung like a cloud over me, because between the lines people had read it to say "It is difficult to find" or "you must work harder than all the rest", "God's kingdom was only ever meant for a few". It was used by more than one group to justify its own small size and exclude others from "true Christianity".

This morning, the cloud broke as I was reading this:

We have stopped short of being an organization; we're an organism instead, a living and spontaneous association of individuals who know one another intimately, care for each other deeply and feel a kind of respect for one another that makes rules and bylaws unnecessary. A group is the right size, I would guess, when each member can pray for every other member, individually and by name.

Brother Andrew, God's smuggler

This is not a rant against big institutions, its just a recognition that those settings by themselves cannot be the place of personal interaction that brother Andrew describes. John Eldredge (Waking the dead) uses this quote to explain how crucial it is to have a small fellowship to walk with you and fight with you and bandage your wounds so that you can live fully the life you were ransomed for by Jesus.

This idea that our relationship with God is bound in a community of believers is one I think most of us recognize in our heart, and lack in our relationships. Thankfully, it is NOT because our Father only wanted it, or expected it, for a few. It can be part of the reason I feel more (or less) connected to the love of God and his purpose for my life. Thanks Bill, Garry, Laura, Kevin, Scott, Tony, DJ, Steve and a few others.

Much, much more to this than I can write now.

4 comments:

  1. I used to think of Matthew 7:13-15 as a challenge for me to try harder; as if my behavior had something to do with salvation. So, good works, religous activity made me more favorable to God. In reality, my salvation came in spite of my behavior and the human nature I was born into.

    Salvation is a gift, pure and simple. I came into this world separated from my heavenly Father and Jesus Christ built the bridge to reunite me to Him. There was (or is) nothing I could do to earn it or be more deserving of it then next person.

    I don't need a large number of people in my life...only a few trusted brothers and sisters to enourage me, hold me accountable and share my journey. You know who you...and I'm thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Portell reminds us all the time, Jesus plus nothing equals salvation.

    Beyond salvation, the role of brothers and sisters (like you Bill) for me has been as available conduits for God. They speak His word of encouragement, counsel and healing into my life so that I can Live to fight the spriritual battle another day.

    Much of tha electricity just happens as brothers are transparent about their own struggles and issues of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was 8 years old praying that I could live to at least 17...so I could be "good" at least 9 years (since I was bad for 8) and then I could go to heaven. Where do we plant these seeds into our minds or the minds of our children. There is NOTHING (as Bill has mentioned) that I can EVER do to earn the love and acceptance of Jesus. I will never be good enough or deserving enough of Him, but He is mine and loves me freely.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me of a conversation with a 21 year old last night...feeling the weight of sin. When we are undone by sin, but recognize at the same moment God loves us ANYWAY, the collision brings us to the Zacheus moment of exhuberance, release and connection.

    I love when that happens. It's too good an experience to have only once!

    ReplyDelete