Wednesday, May 21

Learning From History



Hitler and Churchill, men among the great leaders of their time. They moved millions of people from the center-fold of complacency. They prepared and led their country to victory, and sustained it during defeat. As leaders, both men had learned from History.

Hitler found the power of fear and suspicion as he looked back to the 1st and 2nd Reichs. He studied how to manipulate the masses, using charismatic speech that created enemies from innocents (the Jews, and other people who were different). He learned to divide and conquer, interestingly a British maxim.

Churchill learned too. A insatiable student of history he wrote many books on the subject. In a church history course tonight, I heard he wrote

"The greatest advances in human civilization have come when we recovered what was lost: when we learned the lessons of history"

He also wrote "History is written by the victors."


Reader, if you ever wondered...this is why I blog. Careening through my days, too often I realize that I have ignored my closest companion. Blogging slows me down to ponder the lessons of the days behind. I leak, I forget, and it helps to be reminded in this way that there is a path I am on, a story, and its not about me. Its His story.

1 comment:

  1. Bluebird...I spent some time reading your blog this morning. It's just as you are in real life - faithful, open, seeking - and most of all - spiritually encouraging to others. Your journey in faith and your willingness to openly share it, inspires mine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete