Saturday, September 4

Seeing the Invisible.... Or shall I avoid the pain?

 Yesterday I was at a conference for the Hoosier Christian foundation with my friend Craig, the talk was about Habitat for humanity.  While we were having lunch, I spoke with a consultant at our table, the kind of person who walks into a failing or sub-par company and says "this needs to change". 


She described the situation of "franchise", where small parts of a  company or closely related companies may have redundancy, fail follow best practice and operate well below peak performance.  I asked her "How do you persuade people to surrender control, so that they can perform better?"  She said quite simply..."I explain to them how much pain they will avoid."  That evening I came home to a news show about how burn victims "cope" with pain using medically-designed video games.



The choice we face is to "fill" or "cover" the hurt with distractions, or to deal with it. 

 
Sometimes pain can't be entirely avoided.  As you and I struggle to rest in Him, He also allows those situations which test and refine our faith. As I walk up to the precipice, I am not alone.  I believe....... that the "tragedy" is but a moment, for my good and His glory.  Pardon me, while I "preach to myself."
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. " 1 Cor 4:16-18
Kenny, an 80-something man with a sparkle in His eye told me something a month ago at Hardees I cannot forget. He had known me for a total of about 8 minutes when he said...."You are a young man, don't lose hope".  I smile because I am almost 50 (not many call me young any more), and because that's just what I needed to hear.....still do. Knowing a little about "why" helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment