Friday, July 10

Who are you? Where are you going?

Who are you? Where are you going?

How would you answer these questions? Have you answered them recently?

One of my bosses at work asked, and laid out all the questions below in preparation for a team-builder event. I thought to myself: good questions! Then conviction hit, WOW, I wish I had been paying even more attention to the stuff I believe really matters.


The same STUFF came up in a conversation at training this week. We were practicing interview techniques, and asked one of my coworkers, "How would you define success?" She started saying "RESULTS", went on to tell about how her dad instilled the desire to set goals, then achieve them. My heart started to break, because I could see in her eyes a little girl trying to gain the approval of her father, for years. Later in the practice interview, she admitted to not having friends, or family, and that her whole life was about work. Hmmm....Maybe she/we should focus less on results, more about enjoying daddy.


This is a real Fortune 500 corporate questionnaire, with real answers I submitted today: Maybe I would have answered this survey differently about two years or even two weeks ago. How about you? Have your priorities changed? Should they? Should mine?

Who are you?


Rank the following things from 1 (most important to you) to 11 (least important to you)


1. Sense of belonging
2. Being trusted
3. Pleasant work environment

4. Interesting work

5. Loyalty from above

6. Job security

7. Recognition from above

8. Challenging work

9. Money

10. Opportunity for travel
11. Opportunity for promotion

Please answer the following questions about yourself


--What do you like to do in your spare time? Facebook, blogging, spend time with my sons, men's group

--Who are the most important people in your life right now and why? Church: They help me understand why I am here, and provide the venue for me to help others Family: They are a key part of my mission

--What are you most passionate about in your life? Finding God in the details of life and sharing that with others

--What are two of your biggest strengths?
Empathy, storytelling

What are two things about yourself you are trying to improve? Move from Dissipation to boldness, relationship with daughters

--What are your favorite movie and your favorite book?
The Guardian/Wild at Heart --What are you most looking forward to in the next 12 months? Restoring a house for street outreach and student referral

--What is the one thing most people don’t know about you but you wish they did?
I love to blog, build community

--What would you do if you didn’t have to worry about having a job to support yourself? Leading a long-term community service project that helped others discover God and find hope in the midst of the difficulty in their lives


Below is a message from Scott Himes about Your story,

No comments:

Post a Comment