Thursday, December 4

Forgiveness: Love Dare...Day 25

According to the book, it's the toughest dare....forgiveness.

A rupture that, if not repaired, can prevent a relationship from working. God is serious about forgiveness. He is merciful beyond comprehension, and calls me to that same place by His provision, by his word, and by the prayers of my brothers and sisters in Christ.

In Matt 18:34-35 the kings servant is forgiven his debt, then calls his own debtor for payment. The results are dramatic as that servant is thrown down into prison. God knows forgiveness is the way out of a prison we construct for ourselves, and just as important is the key to releasing others. The trap where we suffer endlessly.

In a liberating way, Love Dare describes that forgiving others doesn't absolve or condone them, it doesn't clear them with God, it just clears me of having to worry about how to punish them. See how that burden is lifted? Now I a free just to Love them (agape, phileo, eros). Last night on our trip at the beach, surrounded by temptations of judgment, we prayed with our boys about this aspect of Messiah's heart, "Father, forgive them". It could have been our prayer, Father, forgive us.

"Vengeance is mine, says the Lord" (Romans 12:9) How I have looked to that verse for comfort, that my enemies would be punished, but now the response can be concern even pity for those who will suffer the consequences, if they don't receive God's mercy. Haven't I received his mercy, far beyond what I could ask or imagine? Haven't you? Shouldn't they?

Great relationships are like great marriages.

"Great marriages are not created by people who never hurt each other, only by people who choose to keep no record of wrongs (1Cor 13:5)"
May Your will be done, Your kingdom come, on Earth as it is in Heaven. Amen

3 comments:

  1. Brad,

    I am not sure what God is trying to tell me here, but it is the 4th time this week I hear or read about forgiveness/un-forgiveness. Sounds like I have some issues to work on... I am going to write something about this shortly.

    Thanks for unknowingly being a part of His plan.

    Elom,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elom,

    Thanks for the reminder of how graciously God works through momentum, nevertheless listening to God requires some amount of "paying attention". You are keen at this.

    Thanks for teaching us, again.

    your friend, Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad,

    I'm thankful for your fellowship and to have you as a brother in Christ to share my journey with!

    ReplyDelete