Tuesday, August 19

Humility: Just obey

(also posted on http://lifechurchindy.blogspot.com/)

A few thoughts that carried me through the day....

He (Jesus) did not consider equality with God something to be grasped....and he became obedient to death. Phil 2

I looked over the "surrender" options to check from Sunday:  time, rights, resources, reputation.  I knew almost before I read which one it was.  Sure, I could easily check them all, but one stuck out as I thought back to the phrase "false humility" and the times that I had resisted God because I didn't want anyone to think I was "________" (fill in the blank).  A subtle form of pride.  I read the night before where Jesus said those who worship will worship in Spirit and Truth (Jn 4:23).  A yielding.   I went back to find it and every page I turned said the same thing, "just obey": 

  • "how can you believe if you accept praise from men yet make no effort to obtain praise from God" Jn 5:44,
  • "My food is to do the will of him who sent me" Jn 4:34
  • "Martha, Martha you are worried and upset about many things..but Mary has chosen what is better" Luke 10:38

I apologized to God for specific sin that I had "reasoned away".  I got up to go to work, realized I had lost my wallet.  My first impulse was to panic for being late, and tear up the whole house up looking for it.  No, it seemed, just go straight to the car, take your coffee because you are not coming back. I opened the car door, there was the wallet.  A small hint to just obey.  Not by fear, analysis, second guessing or pleasing man for fear my reputation will be damaged.  It was a good day.  Will those of you who know me, please remind me? 

1 comment:

  1. Brad,

    I cant really say that I know you, but as Christ followers, we are called to "encourage one another daily" (Hebrews 3:13), so here goes...

    I am fascinated by the concept of obedience, total surrender. Our Savior completely surrendered, and saved us in the process. I wonder what our lives would be like if we learned to surrender completely to His will... No more pride, selfishness, ulterior motives and so on.

    My prayer is that we all learn to be more like Our Savior, and choose to obey in love, regardless of how hard it sounds.

    ReplyDelete