Thursday, October 25

I just got out of a conversation where I had to be a bit confrontational.

One of my internal clients made a couple of comments "in jest" about me that I felt had to addressed it as soon as I could speak to him privately (turned out to be about 5 minutes later). He described a business issue that bothered him as “pushback”. I tried to explain to him my position, said he was my customer, but we had to have open and honest discussions. In other words, if he had a problem, I wanted to respond, and that I had a big chin (internal code for lets talk openly).

His response was very apologetic, and he explained (almost to himself) why pushback was good!

The real epiphany that came out of it all for me was just how destructive the little "jests" can be, something I am usually guilty of, because it communicates my frustration without committing to the effort of an all out discussion. As the example above showed, sometimes a confrontation can actually bring the healing that is so necessary.

Thinking about how that can apply to my home life.

No comments:

Post a Comment