Wednesday, December 19

I will find my strength in the shadow of your wings


As I was flying home the other day I popped open my computer to listen to some music. This Third Day song came up as I looked down on the brilliant white tops of clouds on a snowy day, reflecting sunlight against the crisp blue sky. A tiny plane went screaming by between my plane and the clouds a few thousand feet below, it seemed so free.


I was overwhelmed by a sense of God's power, majesty, immense love and freedom. Not from the a protective yet earth-bound hen, but a soaring mighty bird of prey.

The same song came up first again this morning even though I listened to 20 songs since then.


Your Love Oh Lord
Third Day (Psalm 36)

Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains
Your justice flows like the ocean's tide
I will lift my voice
To worship You, my King
I will find my strength
In the shadow of your wings



As always, the original is even better:


Psalm 36
1 An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes.
2 For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin.
3 The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; he has ceased to be wise and to do good.
4 Even on his bed he plots evil; he commits himself to a sinful course and does not reject what is wrong.
5 Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O LORD, you preserve both man and beast.
7 How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.
10 Continue your love to those who know you, your righteousness to the upright in heart.
11 May the foot of the proud not come against me, nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 See how the evildoers lie fallen— thrown down, not able to rise!