Monday, September 15

A Concert: Spiritual or Secular?

image

I don't even remember the last concert I went to....if you take out the piano recitals, and Joyce Meyer.  Tonight I went to my first Christian concert, a fundraiser by the Vineyard for Costa Rica.

The power went out (literally) so we waited in line for an hour while things got put back in order...it was a wonderful time to get to know Danny, Courtney and Tim Golden...a wonderful and divine surprise.  Tim and I had dinner afterward, and it was amazing how much I had to learn about someone I thought I knew. 

Later in the concert it was a thrill to be reminded about how BIG God is.   Seeing people I don't know worshiping in ways I have not seen before. Jeremy Riddle is someone I hadn't heard of, but he seemed to be genuinely  talking to God as he sang, with little theatrics or special effects.  His focus was getting closer to God, and seemed to marry well with the message earlier in the day to rejoin our "secular" and "spiritual" worlds into one world where God really does have our full attention.

How did I get here? Spiritual or Secular Disappointment

Tony told the story about Joseph (the coat of many colors), who grew from a seeming arrogant boy who could interpret dreams into someone who recognized only God can interpret dreams...who grew to trusted God despite all the seeming injustices of life, so that when the day would come (and it did), he could be taken from the prison into the throne room of the palace, to rule justly with mercy. 

The message turned to ask "Are you discouraged"?  Everything is spiritual....you are where you are so so He can work in your life.  He wants us to flourish, we can't fall in the trap of cursing the darkness, he has you in that place to to bring Life.  

Am I backed into a corner?  If so, that's where I realize all I have is you...and then realizing that you are all I need.  Until then some think they can still work things out when they just need to surrender. Your environment can change you, then you  can change your environment.  It all begins with that relationship with him.

The 1st thing in the morning should be "Father I am yours, I am working for you"  (not just me, my boss or my family)

Gal 1:10Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Full Attention (Jeremy Riddle) ....

May Your voice be louder
May Your voice be clearer
Than all the others, than all the others
May Your face be dearer
May Your words be sweeter
Than all the others
Than all the others in my life
Please keep my eyes fixed on You
Please root my heart so deep in You
Keep me abiding, keep me abiding
Keep me abiding that I
Oh, that I might bear fruit
May Your presence be truer
May Your presence be nearer
Than all the others, than all the others
May Your light burn brighter
May Your love go deeper
Than all the others
Than all the others in my life

sweetly broken

 

4 comments:

  1. Sweetly broken

    -At the cross You beckon me
    You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
    Lost for words, so lost in love,
    I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered-

    One of my favorites worship songs! It sounds like you had an amazing time worshiping Him.
    I am going to my first official Christian rock concert this Friday! Someone named Bethany Dillon...I have never heard of her, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really been struck by the depth of these songs from Jeremy Riddle. The idea of surrender is a current one, and the other day talked with some guys about the truth vs. the lie; the truth is that we are set set free by surrender to be who we were meant to be, the lie is that we loose our freedom and joy. Only Faith can take you from believing the lie to believing the truth.

    I have so much to learn, but I don't think it all happens a once. I believe it is part of that walk with the Lord. Faith is not an act, but a hope with the evidence unseen. That unseen evidence for me is knowing how amazingly kind and graceful Jesus is, despite who I am, he sees me as I will be.

    Elom, I hope Bethany Dillon's music helps your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for introducing me to this music. It was an awesome time of refreshing in the middle of my work. I thank God for you and we're still praying! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura....
    A faithful servant, full of grace, mercy and the joy of the Lord. Thank you always.

    ReplyDelete